When I turned 30, one of my friends asked me in a devilish kind of way how it felt to be finally hitting one-third of a century. I answered with just three words which captured fittingly how I really felt. I said nonchalantly,"I feel old!"
And just like that, I surrendered my thoughts and opted to be vulnerable. I realized I wasn't in control anymore, I didn't want to keep my thoughts to myself anymore. Normally, I would just shrug my shoulders and refuse to say anything that will give other people infinite joy of having probed my thoughts and feelings. This time, it was different.
Something really improves with age. Not just handwriting, but a whole lot of other things.
The most striking of all these changes is one nice surprise. Oftentimes, people equate getting old with being bumped into the fringes of the dating market. No matter how one masters the Lord's Prayer in asking for some divine intercession, some people still think they have been cursed to singledom and forever just be a guest or a sponsor in friend's weddings.
My friend says I shouldn't despair. The older one gets, the more he becomes in the market. Things have changed, he says. I asked for proof. My friend then started to list down names, presumably his friends and friends of friends, who have hooked it up with people a lot younger than them. I got some good rebuking. The last thing I remember hearing was some sort of encouraging words meant to push me ahead. He said younger people now ache to be with older men. That supposedly should appease me.
I stopped and thought for a while. In a few seconds, I was deluged by questions left and right, some with answers, a lot more with no certain replies. One of the most pressing thought I had was this: Do younger people genuinely prefer somebody older than them or are we older ones who get drawn to these younger set? Do they desire for stability brought forth by many living years or do we really relish youth and wish for the old days to come by?
No comments:
Post a Comment