Somebody recently asked me which one, of all the radiant and picturesque moments in my life, would always be perfectly captured up to finest details even after a thousand narrations. It didn't take so long for me to decide. I knew exactly what it should be.
Since I sort of moved in the three-bedroom apartment that W. rented ten years ago with two other friends, my Saturdays were almost always predictable. I would bike around the village in the morning and spend the afternoon quietly lazing around the house to read or catch up on sleep. I would make sure to wake up before 6pm since I know W. will be arriving soon, and I didn't want to be caught snoring with my mouth agape and drooling. Upon arriving, W. usually heads straight to our bedroom, kiss me on the forehead, and head back to the dining room where the flowers would be arranged or instructions on what to prepare for dinner would be given to the maid.
That particular Saturday in April ten months into the relationship was going to be one that will live with me vividly forever. It was unusual for W. to be late. It was getting past 7pm already when the car pulled in the garage. When the engine died down, I was expecting the door to soon swing open and a loud "Hi! How was your day?" would thunder around the room. Nothing of that happened.
I rushed out of the bedroom wondering what happened. There, I found W. in the dining room tidying the flowers in absurd silence. I am sure he knew I came out of the room but he didn't care to look. Surprised, I muffled a quick hello and headed to answer a phonecall for me. Just before I hanged up, I saw W. head to our room, still ominously silent. I don't know if the maid and the driver sensed anything unusual, but I did. I followed W. inside.
My heart pounded so hard and it sank as I saw W. pull out our pictures neatly framed and arranged on top of the dresser. Those pictures chronicled happy moments over the months since we got together. W. then looked for our photo albums stacked by the TV rack and went through each of the pages pulling out every photo there is.
I could only manage a silent, "W., what's happening?" And without turning to face me, he replied, "Please give me back my ring." I froze. Just like that. I sat by the bed with my shoulders almost falling to my knees. It took a while before I could find my words.
to be continued
No comments:
Post a Comment