12.10.2003

Musings about Dad

Now that my parents are based abroad, I think of them more fondly now, something I wouldn't normally do when they were still here. Especially my Dad. But then, that's not entirely true. I would think of him too when he was still close by. It's just that, probably the idea that he would call on weekends anyway and we'd be in touch on the latest back home never really reinforced my missing him.

This time, it's different, a lot different. Almost always, the fond thoughts now easily move me to tears. Maybe the distance has a lot to do with it. Or maybe some very personal incident that happened recently. Or maybe my tear ducts are damaged beyond repair that they can't hold back tears anymore. But nevertheless, when I think of my Dad now, I smile. A few times, I closed my eyes and said a quick prayer for him. That should speak well about our relationship now. Truly, something really improves with age.

Having said all of these, I'm still overwhelmed about certain things I came to know about my Dad that makes him a cut above the rest.

A few weeks before I was born many years ago, my Dad received a letter from the US Department of Agriculture formally offering him a job that would take him to Maryland. It was said he set aside the letter right away. My Mom, an unmistakably brave woman, encouraged him to consider the offer saying the whole family was there for support anyway. She even bribed him with joyful thoughts of a growing baby following him soon in that new place. My Dad remain unperturbed. He decided to stay and be with my Mom as they waited for their first-born child spring to life. I found out about this story when I was growing up and I was asking my Mom how come my other cousins lived abroad and we stayed in a quiet and quiant town. I may never fully understand my Dad's decision, but his devotion as a father and husband will always warm my heart.

As a child growing up in a small town, it was not unusual knowing everybody's name in the community. But it was completely unthinkable for one to be greeted by everyone and spoken of highly by most people. However, my Dad, I'm proud to say, is this unusual man. For as long as I can remember, I rode with him at the back of his motorcycle and got distracted with people calling out his name or just plainly say hello as we pass by. To humor us, he would even sometimes say hello to cows and goats grazing the hills saying he was just returning their hellos! I sometimes think those rides with him shaped me to be so perceptive about things and people around me and how they move. My Dad gave me valuable lessons on being friendly with people and making efforts to touch their lives regardless of how big or small the difference you make.

I wish all fathers are like him. I wish all fathers are at the forefront on a campaign to lead their children into a world of good friends and good life.

No comments: