12.11.2003

Mini-mini-mo

In less than two weeks, it'll be christmas. I'm slowly becoming frantic since I have yet to finalize my plans. I have been working on this for the last month or so and I'm still having a hard time deciding where to go. The what-to-do part is easy. I certainly want a firm bed for my back and all the time there is to read books to keep my mind off some things. I have initially shortlisted three possible spots perfect for how I planned to spend my holidays. But I have yet to make up my mind if I really wanted to do mountain or water or aging gays.

A place called Batad in far north Banaue topped my list. I have been there several times already, about ten I think. The place is about 16 kilometers from the main town (Banaue), a good one-hour jeep ride to a junction road from where you start hiking for two hours to reach the village. At this time of the year, I bet I will have to bring my fleece and mufflers because of the cold weather up there. Electricity hasn't reached the village and worse, cellular phone signal is non-existent. This means that I would be completely isolated from everyone, a time I hoped would be spent sleeping with Buble and Groban, reading Dalai Lama books, downing bottles of red wine, perfecting my three-set-100-rep crunches, dipping in the waterfalls, or just staring out to the terraces as far as my eyes can see.

I may also opt to hide in far away Gasan in Marinduque, a town by the beach in an island off Manila. I will likely stay in a resort fronting the beach and allow the crashing waves to lull me to sleep, day in , day out. If I don't forget my sunblock, I may decide to wander around the beach during early morning and ask the waiter to serve my breakfast there. The feel of the earth beneath your feet during early mornings is infinitely refreshing. When the sun starts to sting, I'll head back to my room and cool off in the tub. The bubbles will surely put me to sleep. When night falls, I'll set out to the garden and enjoy red wine while I will forcefully try to entertain myself with karaoke. I'll watch out for a local singing contest and just might join one for the kicks of it. That is, if I'm not too drunk yet.

And finally, I may just wake up one day and decide that all that holiday traveling fuss will only tire me and make me remember my home. So there's a good possibility that I may just stay in the city but, on christmas day and probably a few days after that, be in this place in Pasay housing old and some homeless gays. I thought it may be a good idea to spend christmas with courageous people who have led many years ago the battle for respect and affirmation. I will do this to honor them and all their spirit. I will also make sure I will pay tribute to all their warm and heart-wrenching stories of love and loss. I think a whole day spent in a bubbly exchange of funny and titillating stories with them would be so humbling and good for the soul. I hope a few hours spent in sincere friendship and reverence with them will make me kinder, more thankful, and compassionate.

No comments: