1.04.2004

Welcome 2004!

Happy new year everyone! I hope all of us will have a meaningful 12 months ahead of us filled with more friends, more vacations, more pay, and well, more sex. Why not?

New year's eve wasn't really that bad after all. It came by so quickly I didn't notice it. I had the maid take the day off to be with her sisters. The three of them are here in Manila for work separated from their families for the longest time. That was the least I can do for her. And so, like in christmas, I was a home alone boy. I didn't put my tear ducts to work that night. There was just so many thoughts flying from everywhere that I barely had time to sit still and be emotional. The setting alone that night was sad enough.

There was food on the table and there were drinks in the ref. But they weren't touched, not even a pinch. Two hours before new year, I lulled myself to sleep after watching badminton on TV. I wanted to set my desk clock's alarm to go off a few minutes before midnight, but I noticed it was dead. I remembered its battery had been dead for days. I was too tired to replace it that night, so I wished there'd be really loud merrymaking around my building to rouse me from sleep. I got lucky.

A few minutes before midnight, I switched on all the house lights in my flat. I put on some music. This was how we do it since we were kids. Of course, I no longer jumped five times hoping to add a few more inches to my height. I also didn't wear dotted shirts since I don't have one anymore. I also forgot to put some coins in my pocket.

But I closed my eyes a few moments in prayer. I thanked God for a wonderful year and I implored for His kindness as we all face a new one. I asked Him to bless and comfort that night all those who were alone like me.

And then, I opened a can of Diet Pepsi.

No comments: