11.02.2003

Conversations

Three brief conversations I had with three different people in the last 24 hours.

One.
After putting the phone down, I immediately sent a text message to G. apologizing for saying a mouthful to him. He casually mentioned about getting his nose done next week, not for anything else but to look better. I took it plainly. I wasn't annoyed and honestly didn't feel disgusted when I heard it. I had a friend who underwent the same popular procedure last year and it actually made people take a second look at her. I am normally distant when discussing topics like this. While I may have my own strong belief and position, I don't impose them on other people because I think it's not right to do that. On the contrary, I listen to them.

This gift of listening has favored me well. I'm glad some friends think of me first when they want to discuss something serious, one that asks for making a stand be it painful or otherwise. I'm even gladder that friends usually ask for my position on things after everyone has said their piece. It's heartwarming to get this affirmation from your friends.

But I'm digressing. In G.'s case, I wanted to pick on his brain and find out exactly his reasons for undergoing the operation. I feigned annoyance and tried to sound convincing while saying it's tantamount to rebuking God's creation. He created everyone perfectly so there should be nothing wrong with him. Doing the nose thing is like saying God did a mistake and didn't do it rightly. It's just taking out a facial mole, he said. It will enhance your looks and, who knows, it will land you places, he added. I just shot back, I hope the needle won't be so huge.

Two.
I saw him from afar and decided to walk up to his table and said hi. After all, I haven't seen him in like two years. H., a Chinese classmate in my MBA class, was having a late afternoon snacks in a popular fastfood near the school. The usual questions came running one after another. So how are you? Where are you connected? So you're still single? Why are you here? What have you been up to lately?

Afterwards, I almost fell in my chair with his query if I was Catholic. It's like, where did that come from? I decided to be patient and explained briefly my religious journey. We spent the rest of the time talking about his recent pressing thoughts about God's fairness and reasons. He has started to become more open about looking into this recently. And that should be celebrated considering he's an atheist. He confessed to be one.

Three.
B. and I met in 1996 when APEC was held here in Manila. He was about my age and, aside from his government work, was also the Chinese Vice Premier's interpreter that time.

We chanced upon each other on Yahoo Messenger finally. We talked about life lost and lived, and love that lived and got lost in no time.

No comments: