11.27.2003

First meetings

I don't profess to be a dating expert and I know I don't come anywhere near it, but I would always end up getting asked for my opinion on when or how or where should my friends meet their dates. Initially, I sort of got excited about playing Oprah but over time, it made me think if my friends are asking for advice because I was just a phone call away or was it because I speak my mind pretty much.

Just so you would know, I have never wavered. I would always tell my friends the same thing regardless of the season. There's a reason why I would insist that first dates should be met over lunch as much as possible.

I think it's the safest. Both of you know exactly that you only have one hour window to spare. If it turns out you need a quick rescue and it doesn't come right away, at least you only suffered for an hour. Which is fairly tolerable. Suffering wouldn't really lead you to ponder suicide just yet. If you want to appear really gentlemanly and refined, and opt to give your full attention, at least it's within the realm of earthly possibilities to work on extending your attention span to about 45 minutes maximum. The rest you can spend to either engage the waiter in a prolonged conversation as you choose what to order or excusing yourself to go to the restroom to practice smiling, not smirking. You should be very cautious on this otherwise bad karma will come haunting you back in no time.

But here's the sweet sweet side of things. If your date turns out to be some manna from heaven, the one-hour meeting will obviously be so unbelievably quick that it's possible you're still up there on cloud nine by the time the waiter comes to give you back your change. You'll likely end up not being able to work the rest of the afternoon and also more likely to discover that you have this talent for weaving romances in your dreams with the two of you in them.

This time and age of quickies and online dating should make all of us educated on the right ways of meeting and going out with people. Not for anything else, but to make sure that we end up being friends with everyone and we invite only good vibes. That, I think, should be the wisest way to start off a romance. Besides, the community is soooo small beyond belief. You cannot afford to offend other people without them being connected, like Friendster or Ringo, to some of your friends.

Any other tips on first dates you might want to share?

No comments: