11.11.2003

X-date's question

When an ex date and a friend out of nowhere asks you if dating him before, albeit brief, taught you anything, what are you supposed to say? How do you exactly respond? Do you choose to be amiable? Or simply disregard it in humor?

F.'s text message came as a surprise. Reading one of my previous entries got him to think if I learned something from the "super short time" that we went out before. I found it strange that he would ask something like that. But I found it more strange that I was struggling with a response. I wanted to be serious and offer a serious reply, but I couldn't come up with the correct answer. I wanted to spend some more time recalling what happened about seven years ago before replying, but I thought he wanted to hear from me right away. I had to be quick and sharp.

What flashed before me then was one thing unmatched to this day. I don't know with him since his travels may have spelled more interesting encounters, but what happened along that avenue was one that remained my proud bragging right up to recently.

We were both guests in that party. One friend tagged me along. Funny, but I personally don't know whose party was it. I was just told it was supposed one where friends can bring along their friends and friend's friends. That explained the heat of that night.

F. and I left together after a few hours later. It was way past midnight that time and I think I said I have to be sleeping then. But it was more like I was getting suffocated being surrounded by a thousand and one different hairstyles, cologne scents, bicep sizes, and nasal tones. On the drive home, the wine started kicking in. He suddenly swerved and parked right along a busy main avenue in Makati where furious tongues lashed and got thrashed.

And so, while laughing, I replied to F. that he taught me passion, which of course he took with a grain of salt. But I guess that answer left me with more questions than answers.

Is passion something that can be learned?

No comments: