Whenever I see my friend Dindin being very affectionate towards her children Luigi and Teresa, I melt. And in deep appreciation, I wish that all mothers are like her. Whenever I chance upon Luigi clowning around Mommy Dindin in wide grin, I get misty eyed. And in quiet prayer, I wished that I had that chance.
You see, I grew up in a completely different environment. I'm not sure exactly what, but there was something in the air during the 80's which convinced parents that the proper way to bring up kids is much like issuing executive orders. They lay down the stone tablets detailing their rules and everyone is expected to strictly follow regardless of the pain and discomfort they brought. One is never allowed to question the wisdom of these rules, much less argue how they are interpreted. They don't cover just one aspect of life like behaving inside the home, but seemingly every corner of one's life. What was sad was this: Most parents during these times insist that there was only one way to deal with these rules, and this was to quietly submit yourself to them.
There's no point trying to undo things now. Many years have gone by and some damage have been done. But one thing is clear, at least for me. I feel strongly about reclaiming what otherwise would have been a very loving childhood full of devotion and warm affection by making sure every child experiences love, friendship, acceptance, and endearment.
In my every waking moment, I subscribe to this truth: To make this world a better place to live in, we should start with the kids. Only when they are brought up in loving family environment from loving couple in a loving relationship can we ensure that the love will be in the air for the years to come.
In closing, I pray this: That I'll still be around when Luigi and Teresa will finally become parents. That's a long while yet. But I'm sure they will be as nice and loving as their parents.
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment