9.15.2003

Living Alone

I belong to the increasing number of countless young adults who live separately from home.

It is a welcome change for some after practically memorizing every nook and smell of their houses having lived there from birth. It may mean having to prepare meals yourself, but it is definitely rewarding from the usual menu prepared by Mom whose taste and recipe you have mastered without knowing it.

Others rejoice because it means definitely pushing freedom's definition and limits to the heavens. One can now walk around the hallway in the nude, you can now freely master the art of home trysts, or enjoy massage right inside your bedroom. There is no rule to follow when to shoo your friends away when they visit and, what's even more delighting, you can now loudly talk about one night stands complete with high-fives without fear that somebody might hear or reprimand you.

A few relish the experience because it means testing one's capacity to improve one's self. It now means managing your own household, something that most consider as either a joke or a torture. I have been living separately from my parents since I was 16 when I left home for college. I just realized I've been on it for more than ten years now. That's quite something. I'm glad it has turned out to be a fruitful experience for me on whole. I can write about the juicy details some other time. :) I don't know, I think I might be able to put up another Thomas Jefferson Library if all my stories and experiences are told and written.

Anyway, I hope parents will look kindly when their little ones decide to leave home and be on their own. At the very least, it means less laundry to do, less food to prepare, less noise to endure, less headaches to manage.

I am trying to understand why some parents would abhor this idea and I came to this: Maybe they fear seeing their kids live less comfortably or they worry about loneliness and survival. Those concerns are understandable, but behind them, I think parents really worry about them coming to life. What they imply is a crippling slap on their faces --- that they have failed miserably in rightfully equipping their kids to a larger thing called life!

And that's something that can never be undone.





No comments: