Most people I know veer away from questions about their age. They either change topic or pretend they didn't hear anything. I myself stopped counting when I turned 26, unfortunately, I would always be reminded of the real count courtesy of my kind friends who would volunteer to compute for the difference of my birth year from the present year. As if it's the lucky number to blacken in the lotto ticket.
But starting out one's third decade in this world need not necessarily be tragic. I refuse to be affected by a deluge of print ads left and right that I now need, more than ever, to start investing in moisturizers and other skin-care concoctions. For me, water and enough sleep and exercise are still the secrets to beat.
Meanwhile, let me reminisce and try to list down the things I'm extremely delighted I did before I hit 30. Most of these are those that I think I won't be able to do in a few year's time. Either because I'll have weak knees or I'll breathe in new air from some place far.
1. Not tempted to have a tattoo. Still drug-free.
2. Have never been to the school guidance counselor.
3. Took the train from Manila to Legazpi in Bicol.
4. Joined an adventure race.
5. Ran a marathon. Well, a mini-marathon.
6. Breakfast bonding with my father.
7. Graduate school.
8. Traveled both ends of the Philippines. Batanes to Sulu.
9. Donated blood.
10. Taught sunday school for kids.
11. Ran 5K below 30 minutes.
12. Scaled mountains. Perfected my patience.
13. Acknowledged and accepted it.
14. Questioned my faith. Started attending Baptist services.
15. Haven't caused damage to property.
16. Agreed to stand as sponsor in a baby's christening.
17. Have seen the filthiest to the swankiest motel. Nothing shocks me anymore.
18. Diverse set of friends.
19. Did volunteer work.
20. Enjoyed my grandparents' company.
No comments:
Post a Comment