10.02.2003

Faces and stories

I love watching people.

But not the kind that ogles over them trying to look through their dresses and making sense of what curves and shapes lie beneath. I specifically relish the experience of sitting in one of those crowded places like cafes or airport lounges and quietly fill your sight with faces and all possible mysteries that go with them.

Recently, I dropped by a coffeeshop near my gym and decided to while away time. I pulled out a book from my bag, but decided to put it back in no time after getting bored with long sentences and pathetic stories of men whose only reason for living is to stick in their sticks in all the holes they can find. I then sat back, relaxed, and opted to quietly feast my eyes with everyone there.

Lest I be accused of reckless imprudence resulting in manslaughter (if there's such a thing), I assure you, I only do friendly stares. I enjoy looking at the other customers but I specially delight in watching waiters, lady guards, receptionists, and the others who, by virtue of their work, are transformed instantly as our meek servants in between crisp curses and swears. I normally look for a certain twitch in their brows or pout on the lips or listen to the tone of their voices, sometimes even an infuriating mannerism. From there, I get drowned in a deluge of thoughtful questions.

: Could he be married? Was it shot-gun wedding?
: Is he the family's breadwinner?
: I wonder if he's happy.
: Why is she so clingy?
: Did he ever finish college?
: Are they still virgins?
: From which province could be be?
: Why is he eating that way?
: How mean can she get?
: Did he have a good morning?
: Is he happy with his job?
: Does he read the newspaper?
: Is she good in bed?
: Has he ever worn a thong?

Crazy thoughts. But they make you the best scenario builder in the world.

No comments: