9.21.2005

The seventies

There is a statement my mom would always use to pacify me when, as a kid, I would throw tantrums whenever I failed to get what I wanted. Very calmly, she would say, “Make do with what you have.” And she would swiftly follow that with a reminder that we’re not well-off and we should be on guard against coveting things our playmates owned.

I think it started with trivial things like shoes and schoolbags. I’d sometimes spot a differently colored shoes or some bag that has more sidepockets and that starts me off on a relentless move to be difficult and upset everyone with my whining. I would refuse to do my assigned chores or decide not to talk to anyone at home. When that fails to get the attention I wanted, I would then deliberately pick a fight with my sister with the most petty things like she having more bread spread or me spending less time in the bath.

Mother’s words definitely leave a permanent mark in you. I moved to high school always getting reminded with those six words whenever I find myself desiring something which I knew wouldn’t kill me anyway if I didn’t get it. I learned to manage with just one bag in my entire high school and didn’t mind if everyone had new shirts on the first day of class after the holidays and I’d be the only one wearing same old shirt. A few years later, I survived all of college with just two pairs of low waist Levis and wearing shorts most of the time.

Looking back, I still don’t fully understand how just one statement managed to tame me throughout those crucial years. On one end, I would have to pay tribute to my parent’s unending patience. On the other hand, I’d say the seventies I grew up in were the finest period to parent kids. Life was so much simpler then. Traditions and manners carried more meaning. Authorities were more respectable and respected.

Lest you think I'm sporting white hair now, I am just as old as that year martial law was declared in the Philippines. That makes me ancient in some ways. But at the same time, it has given me so much beautiful stories and memories I could go on and on talking about them.

2 comments:

joelmcvie said...

"I am just as old as that year martial law was declared in the Philippines"

So if martial law was declared in 1972, that makes you, uhm... 1,972 years old? :-)

Anonymous said...

Hindi! 19 pesos and 72 centavos years old. Hee hee.