9.16.2005

A prayer

To a certain extent, I am vain too. I’m terribly guilty and there’s no denying. I spend a considerable amount every month on foot massages, pedicures, lotions, moisturizers, facial creams, facial scrubs, body scrubs, and a whole lot of other pampering menu. Not only that, I make sure there are at least three different shampoos available at any one time when I take a bath aside from a number of hair conditioners on the side waiting to be noticed whose ultimate use largely depends on whatever scent they carry or mood I feel like having stepping out of the bathroom. I thought I have become too narcissistic with all these that I sometimes have to beat myself to calm down.

However, sitting over lunch with a friend’s friend a few days ago made my idea of vanity fall six feet under. I was quietly enjoying my meatless taco salad lunch when this guy matter-of-factly asked if we had plans of having our body fat checked at the gym. He said he was going to have his appointment later in the day and asked if anybody wanted to come along. I was stunned. I didn’t expect to hear something like that. I mean, this was a guy I thought carried the least worry on body fats and all. Yes, you’ll have a hard time spotting him in a dark room, but it’s a breeze to single him out from a crowd if lovehandles become the basis. He absolutely doesn’t have any. You look at him and think he was born with just muscles beneath his skin.

I am one who’s not easily offended, but hearing him talk about body fat check as if it’s the only measure of a man really put me off. I got upset, not because he was repeatedly boasting about his single-digit body fat, but more because I got so frustrated. Big time.

My thought was simple. I conceded, that's one less soul over there who couldn’t contribute to breaking myths that shapes and curves make a man. What made it even more infuriating for me was hearing it from a gayguy. In between heavy breaths, I prayed for lenience. My brothers hopefully appreciate sooner that men are so much more than body fat and waistlines.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I could go on for hours about body dysmorphia, especially in the gay community but I won't.

Muscles are so overrated anyway. It's what inside that really counts. (Wait. Did i just day that out loud? How cheesy of me...)

By the way, thanks for dropping by my shitty rag of a blog.