9.14.2005

Age and waist

September 9 vanished so quickly as it came. I didn’t even feel it enough. It turned up like a wink of an eye, something that was so uneventful you wouln’t even notice it was there. Like in my previous birthdays, I still spent the day by myself with nothing else in mind but a well-deserved rest and quiet time.

I was roaming around the mall as early as ten in the morning that day. You would mistake the mall to be some place haunted. Nobody was there. It was eerie yet strangely soothing. It was what I needed. It is what I always long for every year when the ninth day of the ninth month pays a visit.

Another year was added and it seems the more that it takes place, the more that I savor retreating to the sidelines and enjoy quietness. I no longer get paranoid receiving prying stares from some people who see me dine alone in a restaurant when everybody else’s tables are filled with family members and friends. I have long mastered the art of enjoying solitude in multitude so to speak. Nothing, virtually nothing of it appears dreadful to me or at the very least awkward.

Maybe it’s the age. Maybe the long years have finally paid off. Whatever it is, I love how things are now with me. Love may be elusive, I may be older than some, and worse, I may look older my age, but my god, my waistline falls way below my age. That's a tall order the moment you go past 30. Except of course for some selected few, but those are the gifted lot either with extremely active genes or with enormously huge bank accounts that they can easily head to the nearest lipo clinic. Which, on both counts, I unfortunately don't have. But which I completely don't mind.

No comments: