1.13.2005

Birthday lola

Her body's response to chemotherapy the last five months has been a source of joy for everyone in my family. For one week each month, my 77-year old grandfather's sister Lourdes has patiently visited the doctor's clinic for treatment. Later today, her 78th birthday, she's scheduled for the last doctor's appointment this month. It will be her 25th chemo session to add to the five more set on the last cycle next month. Afterwards, she'll be off for a well-deserved vacation.

I just spoke to her on the phone a few minutes ago. She was bubbly as usual. Her animated laughs obscured all the signs of her battling colon cancer. We spoke a bit of the home, we remembered relatives, and then she mentioned about wanting to go out with me next time I visit the mall. I sensed boredom. No one really ever’s taking her out on the three weeks she’s given to rest after each treatment cycle. A widow, she’s staying with her sister in an apartment that also houses a daughter’s family. She's made to feel at home there. Tita Baby's three kids are enough to shower the house with fun spirit. While it may not really compensate for something she's grown accustomed to, it's enough to keep herself reminded of Batanes. Her other source of amusement, I presume, is getting the kicks out from watching television or the calls from her children or grandchildren which come very seldom. She misses home so much. But I think she misses her grandson Joseph a lot more.



Joseph's story is one for the primetime soap operas. At nine years old now, I'm not sure if he's been told how he came to the family. Not that it matters, but I just thought he deserved to know. This photo of Joseph holding some wild flowers which I took last year when I went home to Batanes will be exactly what I will give my Auntie Lourdes later as present. She'll be excited, that's a given. But more than that, I'm even surer I'm going to see tears.

No comments: