4.19.2005

Rowing and me

Five days each week, I live like a growing boy. I don’t get fed in a bottle or get my buns wrapped by pampers, but I am on bed already at eight in the evening prayerfully imploring for sleep. By then, I have finished my mug of hot chocolate drink and have taken my second shower for the evening. It’s good that I have never really found it difficult to get to dreamland quickly although early sleeping wasn’t exactly the sleeping habit I have gotten accustomed to for the longest time.

Rowing has changed my life. At least the nocturnal side of it.

I have practically ceased from going out with my friends for nightcaps or movies or dinners or quick drinks. I head home straight from gym after work. And for this, I have received quite a beating from some of them. They have practically stopped inviting me out since they know they’ll only get turned down. I haven’t been out on a Saturday night since first week of January this year. And worse, I haven’t even been inside a moviehouse since the start of the year.

It’s not just the going out at night that gets severely punished when you row. Even one’s sex life gets a massive whipping. You can’t do it the night before each training session or else, you’ll be doomed to frantically struggle keeping up with everyone in the boat. All of guys who row know this. Unloading the night before (ar worse, a few hours before) each rowing session is a sure way to be everyone’s liability on the boat. You can’t row hard enough, you can’t keep up with the pace, your timing is off, fatigue sets in early, you’re really better off somewhere else. In my case, I am slowly mastering this skill. I have been able to abstain for more than a week on several occasions already. That’s a miracle!!

Meanwhile, I try to look at the brighter side of things. Retiring early at night makes sure I get full eight-hour rest before my 5am call time every training session. Not being able to join my friends for the nightouts means saving more money. Finally, the unattended sex life signifies total discipline and strength of mind.

4 comments:

joelmcvie said...

Ipokrita! Balang araw bibigay ka rin!

Mwha-mwha-mwhahahahahahahaha!!! (evil laughter)

After all that abstinence, sana yung unang maka-sex mo ay mahilig lumunok ng kaong. A-hihihihi! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... makes me question, where is the balance in all of these? Shouldn't we be doing the things that we enjoy doing and not the ones that make life harder? Sure, you get 8 hours of sleep, and you get to save a few bucks from not going out. These are good things, but you also lose out on the latest about your friends, bonding with them, catching good movies in theaters, enjoying food and a few drinks after work and most of all GETTING LAID. Kung ganyan ang buhay mo, kahit jowa mo magrereklamo. I dont understand, is it really all worth it?

Promdi said...

mcvie: aminado naman ako, bibigay din ako. at aminado ako lalo, na sana bihasang lumunok pag nagkataon. :)

adel: trust me, it's all worth it. i won't last this long if it wasn't.
at huwag kang magsasalita tungkol sa growing distance between me and my friends. :) bakit, kelan ka ba naging free pag nagyaya ako?? ha? at kelan ka naging available pag magko-confide ako? ha, aber??? ching.

Anonymous said...

i wish i could also look for something to divert rather deviate from my sexual urges. sexual abstinence to do well in your sport is a marvelous feat. congratulations :D i hope i could meet you, do you go to subic? :D