When I turned 26 many years ago, one of my friends asked me how it felt to be one. I quickly confessed, I felt very old and something made me feel I wasn’t in the market anymore. Somehow I felt I was ungraciously herded all of a sudden into this separate pack where looking at each other’s faces meant seeing lines and dry skin, gray hair and tired eyes. Worse, I couldn’t relate with nearly all of the songs played on radio, I don’t understand for gazzsake why some people even pass out when watching boy bands, I couldn’t grasp why classical listening stations at Tower Records always remain deserted. These grumblings concern only music. Now, multiply that with a hundred and one other affairs, it’s enough to make you reach for the nearest Valium bottle.
My friend asked me to move closer across from where he was at the coffee table to let me in on a secret. He said, getting older is actually a gift. The more that one gets older, the more that he actually becomes in the market, he added. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and sipped some more caffeine. It didn’t sink in right away. It took another cup of coffee to nail it.
The number of younger men drawn towards men older than them is as diverse and countless as the reasons they hold. Trying to find out all of them is like attempting to drain the ocean. The effort may not just be futile, it may even be uncalled for. But for purposes of understanding life and relationship dynamics at the very least, it may be meaningful to try to come up even with just three answers to the question why older men seem to magnet the younger lot.
Three reasons seem to reverberate:
1. Younger men apparently savor the idea of maturity and wisdom that, they say, pervade older men.
2. Thinking that maturity and wisdom can be transmitted or acquired through relationships, hooking up with older men whom they assume to be abound with these, will make them mature and wisdomed faster.
2. Younger men think they are actually protecting themselves from hurt derived from potential misadventures when choosing a partner their age.
I will reserve my rebuttal next time.
4 comments:
Hay naku, the older I get the more I realize I don't know all the answers. Yet the more I seem to dispense advice left and right. Anubato?!
Hmp! Sige na nga, let the older men go for the younger ones, just as long as they're not minors and you dont pay them for love. Ako, ayoko talaga ng mga bagets, their unfilled-up physiques just doesnt excite me.
jong, your friend simply stated the truth. the "older" category is certainly still very much in the market. they just don't flaunt it kaya di obvious. hehe. and if you're so worried about crags and faultlines starting to show in the face, ilang beses ko na sinabi sayo na get a good dermatologist. peace! :)
erik
Post a Comment