My search for one new sport every year has brought me to places near and far, to mountain summits high and low, rubber and wood flooring inside covered courts, and mostly good time always and in all ways.
For this year, I'm inclined to consider getting in one of these boats every weekend morning along Manila Bay. I joined a local dragonboat team last Saturday for my baptism of fire so to speak.


There are at least ten local dragonboat teams in Manila. Many of the teams have separate men and women line-ups. Some are school-based, others are units within the Armed Forces, and a large proportion are comprised mostly of free-spirited young professionals who are likewise engaged in other adventure or extreme sports. For instance, there are those who regularly join triathlon competitions or are affiliated with a local mountaineering club. It's good that around three friends from my mountaineering club are veterans in the new rowing team I am set to join. It makes things easier.
On weekend mornings, training call time is set around six in the morning. After a ten-minute stretching, loading starts at the bay near the Philippine Navy compound. One after another, a team loads a boat for around two-hours of rowing from the Manila Yacht Club area all the way to the US Embassy side, around two kilometers at least. Around four legs are usually completed before heading back to the dock.

It's a punishing sport, but it offers a tremendous sense of fulfillment. It's not one for those who are used to doing things on their own or, worse, who have the tendency to be inconsiderate of other people. It's a team sport, one that teaches putting team effort above personal comfort.
I hope I'll have a good time in the coming weekends. Since there's a competition in May, the training in the coming months may be rigid. It's too bad I will have to give up probably some of my out-of-town trips. I guess I can't have it all.
9 comments:
dream ko dati sumali dyan, pero being a visionary, i'd rather climb mountains on my own than take part in team activities. suplado ako e. he he.
modemchat: if it's at all a consolation, our weekend trainings end around 8am. pupuwede pa dumiretso out of town. hehehe.
buddy: diba nakakatakot maging visionary? naaalala ko kasi si judiel e. naging soprano tapos nag-japan :-) pang-solitary sport ka pala. like rhythmic gymnastics. jokjokjok
Oh god, Judiel! After nag-Japan, bumalik dito at gustong mag-artista... as a girl. Gusto niyang daigin si Jaye "The Crying Game" Davidson.
Those dragonboaters must have great upper torsos. Ibang "team activity" ang naiisip ko with them, a-hihihihi!
Hey, when are you and Phillip taking another photo road trip? Join ako! My camera needs the exercise. :-)
J, you might also want to try sailing (dingy or catamaran). I studied sailing at the Taal Lake Yacht Club in Talisay 2 years ago. Grabe, exiting & exhilirating, adrenaline rush! Try nyo!
apir tayo body electric. supladito din ako. hehe.
otistik
ngiii. di visionary tulad ni judiel nyebah. he he. mga visionaries mahilig mag-isa (!) pero di magdadalawang-isip kung may nangangailangan ng kasama (!!!).
mcvie: at ano namang team activity ang naiisip mong gawin sa kanila ha??? iyong trip with phillip, kayo na magusap. ok naman ako. san juan, batangas? real, quezon? balesin island, quezon?
boyetb: learning how to sail crossed my mind the last time i visited caliraya. siguro, one of these days.
otistik at body_electric: kayong dalawang visionaries e magplano nga kung saan maganda pumunta ngayong summer tapos sabihan niyo kami dito tapos lahat tayo bibiyahe.
Naku, nagtuturuan kayo ni Phillip. When I asked him for a road trip, he said, "Ask Jong." Hahaha.
Post a Comment