Growing up in the province at times gives you an edge over those who have been in the city from birth. For one, there's just a lot more colorful stories to tell and equally more animated ways to tell it. In my case, I have attempted to list down, from top of mind, things I associate with high school spent in a remote town far from the city.
Here's my list. I had a grand time coming up with one. You should try coming up with a list too. I tried to elaborate briefly each item. Some though speak for themselves. The 80's was just a very fun time to always look back. And besides, most of the people I know who come visit my blog are well familiar with the period. Except for Mavic who may know something way, way beyond the great 80's.
Enjoy my high-school-days-oh-my-high-school-days-I-remember-kay-saya list:
- Manilyn Reynes-Janno Gibbs notebook. Patok na patok sa probinsiya everyone had it.
- Menudo craze. Girl classmates drooled over Robby Rosa, Ricky Martin, Charlie ---, Roy ---.
- Florante at Laura. Hindi ako um-absent sa class kasi gusto ko iyong love story.
- Panatang Makabayan. Memorized ko ito noon; ngayon kelangan ko nang tulong.
- Nutri-bun. May binibigay noon na tinapay sa mga public schools. Super laki na super sawa na ang lahat.
- Splash gel. Diyan nagsimula ang lahat.
- Rick Astley, Fra Lippo Lippi, Ray Parker Jr. Sikat noon, sikat pa rin sa amin ngayon.
- Kumander Gringa, Bala at Lipstik, Petrang Kabayo. Roderick Paulate has since become the only one who can make me laugh without really trying. :-)
- Rolling store ni Manang. Utangan namin pag recess, taguan pag late.
- Slumbook. Lahat meron. Lahat dapat sa-sign ka rin.
- Every name has the letter H as second letter (Mhalen, Lhilet, Vhangie). No comment.
- Padamihan ng letter E sa pangalan (Mercee, Lucee, Virgee). No comment pa rin.
- Mr. DJ ni Sharon. Naririnig ko sa radyo ng kapitbahay.
- Scott Baio. May poster ako ginupit pa sa Women's magazine yata (o MOD). :-)
- Cassette player & cassette tapes. Diyan ko napakinggan ang Footloose na soundtrack at Thriller tapes.
- Bic ballpen, THOR pencils. Masarap ngatngatin.
- COD, Syvel's at Footstep sa Cubao. Pasyalan sa Cubao noon. Sa COD ako dahil sa christmas displays, Syvel's dahil sa nanay ko.
- Bagets porma. Naka-fold na short sleeves, baston na pantalon na may zipper sa gilid. Huwag na please....
- Basketball sa ulan. Kasama sina Mao, Doc, Toddy, Jimboy.
- Biology field trip. Kuha ng algae.
- Dutong, dutong. Tawag sa teacher namin na putol iyong isang daliri pag gustong maasar.
- Practical arts subject ni Mr. Hubalde. Dito nagsimula ang pangarap kong maging carpenter. Project ko non plantsahan.
- CAT pag Monday afternoons. Astig porma.
- English elective class ni Mr. Verana. Always fun.
- Teammates (John L., Victor Z., Rodel B.) sa 4x100m relay. Winning team for three straight years.
- Induction balls. Ligaw, ligaw.
- Girlfriend, girlfriends. First kiss, first kiss.
- Sperry Topsider. Porma shoes.
- Kungfu shoes. Gift lang sa akin, hindi ito porma shoes ko. :-)
- Bulletin board sa Faculty room. Where class rankings are posted.
10 comments:
nag-track and field ka rin pala.
ako
Lekat ka JHONG, Spandau Ballet na inabutan ko ha! And that has nothing to do with selective amnesia!!!
Great post! Nakaka-challenge to test my memory and to come up with my own list too. Major retro. Kadiri! Hahaha!
Nice meeting you last night. Sayang, sandali lang tayo nakapag-usap. Im happy that you had a great time too. Hanggang sa muli Kuya Jong.
Juice koh! Scott Baio? I remember my first Vinyl record purchase ever - "Zapped" soundtrack!!!
O, sino may dialogue nito:
"Meron din ako nyan...isang box..galing Ja-phan!!!"
Ikaw naalala ko everytime I remember this movie..:-)
-sonnyorange-
basta naalala ko pa yung "if you're not here" and siyempre rico mambo and body dancer ni maricel and roderick
Blog surfing, found yer entry...
... disturbingly vivid memories. Hee hee :)
Good writing dude, keep it up.
Wow! Menudo? Hmmm may tape ako nung bata pa ako, 4 years old ata ako noon.. Challenging ata sa akin if I were to come up with the same list because my I was born during the 80's, but I do have vivid memories of that era, especially the music.
Hey, thanks for dropping by sa blog ko, glad you enjoyed my twisted sentiments in life.
I find your blog nice. Will add you to my links, is it okay? :)
Took out the previous comment. A celfon num was left which, for me, was scary. Anyways, here's what was said.
------------------
Hi there J. My name is David. I enjoy reading your blog...both for content and form. Keep it up dude.. and if OK with you, ' would love to hook up with you at your convenience.
saw your comments on tina's and jtm's blogs.
this is sooo hilarious! sobrang napaisip ako ng 80s days ko.
Oh, Scott Baio's "Zapped" was the first "adult" movie I saw, I think, hahaha!
Like your style, I'll visit often. :)
Post a Comment