I spent some time going over Downelink this afternoon and got sooooo overwhelmed with the unbelievably magnificent collection of openly Pinoy gay guys currently profiled in the site. I couldn't believe it, I kept asking, where are these guys every last Saturday of June each year when the Pride March is held? That way, we will leave strong mark in the faces of bigoted men (and women, for that matter) that we're indeed a massive amount, a huge number, a large mass, a whole force to reckon with.
Since the time I first started joining the Pride March in 1998, I observed that I would see practically the same faces each year gathered in Malate for the walk. We have grown practically familiar with each other and often joke questioningly if we're the only out and proud creatures in this part of the world. As we tread the streets of Malate, we see guys one after another watching us from the sidelines, the same one's we'd bump into one of those bars we'd frequent since they're predominantly gay. It's a sad sight, I must say. I wish they can experience the tremendous relief that can only come from a proud declaration made alongside other gay brothers and sisters. I tell you, it's very affirming, very affirming.
No comments:
Post a Comment